Update – This article was updated on 23rd Jan 2017 to reflect some changes and to add some additional information.
Happy Republic Day 2017! This year on 26 January 2017, we are going to celebrate 68th Republic day of India.
What is new in 2017’s Republic day?
- 2017 Republic Day Theme – Skill India, Beti Bachao Beti Padhao
- Chief Guest – Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan
- No. of States Participating in Parade – 17
- First Time in History – Debut show of Sherpa (a bullet-proof NSG vehicle)
India became a free country on 15 Aug 1947 and it declared itself a republic and democratic nation with the adoption and implementation of the Constitution on 26th Jan 1950. Thereafter 26th of January was recognized as a national holiday and Republic Day of India.
The Constitution gave the residents of India the rights to govern themselves by choosing their own government. At the Durbar Hall in Government House, Dr. Rajendra Prasad took the pledge as the first President of India.
Top Things about Republic Day
Here are some facts about Indian Republic Day that would amaze you.
- In 1948, Dr. BR Ambedkar completed the draft of the constitution, which was adopted in Nov. 1949 with few amendments.
- Indian Constitution is the longest constitution in the world. It has 448 articles, 12 schedules, and 94 amendments.
- The Constitution is written in both Hindi and English.
- The members of the Constituent Assembly appended their signatures to it on January 24, 1950. The Constitution came into existence and circulated at 10:18 AM on the 26th, Jan 1950.
- Indian Constitution was prepared in a period of 2 years, 11 months and 18 days.
- First Republic Day Parade (26 Jan 1950) was held at the Red Fort, Old Delhi. Starting from 1955 that parade in its form was moved to Rajpath.
- President of India addresses the nation on the eve of every Republic Day which is 25th Jan.
- The chief guest on Republic Day of India 2017 will be Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan. Last year, Francois Hollande, the President of France was the chief guest.
- In 2014 first time, the commentary had done in sign language for those who cannot hear.
- The Republic Day celebrations actually last for three days. Beating Retreat which officially denotes the end of Republic day is conducted on 29th of January – the third and last day of celebration.
- Republic day is chosen as the day to give away bravery awards (Veer Chakra, Maha Veer Chakra, Param Veer Chakra, Kirti Chakra and Ashoka Chakra) to deserving candidates.
- The song ‘Abide with Me’ that is a Christian hymn is played on every Republic Day because it is said to be Mahatma Gandhi’s favorite.
- A 21-gun salute is given to the President and National Flag, during the Flag Hoisting Ceremony.
Welcome, the Republic Day with joy and peace. Wishing you all a very… very Happy Republic Day 2017!