Note: This is a guest post by Josh Wardini of Web Masters Jury. The author’s views are entirely his own and may not reflect the views of Deepanshu Gahlaut’s Blog.
The internet is a huge place which is growing at a rapid pace. Agree?
In this digital era, choosing a domain name can be both tricky and quite exciting, as it will be the name that defines your business on the web. Before moving to the 101 interesting facts about domain names, first, let’s check out few tips that will help you choose the right domain name for your business.
- Don’t use a word that can have different spelling variations, as this could take people to a completely different site to yours!
- Don’t choose the TLD that is completely irrelevant to your site. Also, make sure there is no wrong TLD, but it makes sense to have one that is linked to your business.
- Avoid having a domain name that is very similar to someone else’s.
- Try not to use any special characters or numbers as people will not know if they should spell the letter or use numerical values.
- Avoid using dashes as it can be time-consuming trying to describe where the dashes are meant to go.
- Don’t use a domain name that is completely irrelevant or off topic, if your business changes, then so should your domain name.
- Don’t have a domain name that is difficult to spell or people may give up and go elsewhere.
- Avoid a domain name that looks fine written down, but might sound bad when reading aloud.
- If you have a domain name that you don’t like, don’t be afraid to change it, this is possible to do quite easily.
- Picking a domain name that no one is likely to remember can be as disastrous as not having a domain name at all.
- It may not be the best idea to use a domain name just because it is trendy and in fashion now, chances are in a few years, everyone would have moved on!
Now, as you know ‘how to’s’ and the ‘what ifs’ on choosing domain names, here are a few interesting and fascinated facts about domain names, beautifully explained by Web Masters Jury that you probably did not know.
One Reply to “[Infographic] 101 Interesting Facts About Domain Names”
Wait… Namecheap isn’t even in the top 5 registrars? Wow. This whole time I thought GoDaddy was #1 and Namecheap was #2!