Authorship has returned but this time, it’s on Facebook, not on Google. In June 2015, Facebook has introduced “Author Tags”, an opportunity for content publishers and bloggers to grow their audience and fan base. Author Tags allow Facebook users to easily follow the author of an article they just read and liked, on Facebook.
Why Should You Implement Facebook Author Tag?
As a journalist or content publisher, here are top five benefits you get with Facebook author tag-
- Grow Your Audience: Facebook Author Tag makes it easier for Facebook users to follow you and engage with you in a conversation.
- Build Relationship with Readers: Authors or publishers can build a better relationship with their followers by getting engaged in a conversation, holding Q&As, and sharing the content they like.
- Get New Readers: Facebook author tag help you get new readers and gives Facebook users a quick and easy way to follow you on Facebook.
- Increase Brand Awareness: Businesses can also use Facebook author tag to spread awareness and visibility of their brand by allowing readers to like their page.
- Become an Authority/Influencer: This tag can help you become an authority or influencer on a particular topic or in a subject niche.
How to Implement Facebook Author Tags?
If you are using WordPress as you CMS, one of the quick and easy method to add author tag is to use plugins such as SEO by Yoast that automatically adds this tag to a particular page/website. Another method is to add one line of code in the header section of a page/website. Here is the code:
<meta property=”article:publisher” content=”http://facebook.com/pagename” />
<meta property=”article:author” content=”http://facebook.com/profilename” />
Note that, the pagename and profilename represent your page and profile respectively. For more documentation on author tag, you can visit here. For example, I’ve added the following code in my website header section to implement the authorship:
<meta property=”article:author” content=”http://facebook.com/deepanshu.gahlaut” />
And here is what I get on Facebook,
Simply put, people use Facebook every day for connecting with like-minded people and to find out what’s happening across the world. Author Tag helps connect those people to writers, publishers that best explain, educate and delight them.